Your Legacy. Your Heritage.
Becoming a Founding Member of The Heritage Society
The Heritage Society of the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) recognizes those individuals whose legacy gifts support our work as a pre-eminent institution for medical and bioscience education, healthcare, and research. As one of a select group of U.S. institutions designated as a comprehensive academic health center, our faculty and staff annually educate more future doctors, nurses, health specialists, biomedical researchers, dentists, and specialized scientists than any other institution in Texas.
Membership includes Special Heritage Society events that take place throughout the year, allowing you to meet the university leaders, faculty, and students that benefit from your generosity and commitment to the future of UTHealth.
Becoming a member of UTHealth's Heritage Society is easy. Simply contact the gift planning office to remember UTHealth in your estate plan or other planned-giving arrangements. If you have already included UTHealth in your estate plan, please let us know so that we can extend our thanks and include you in the benefits of Heritage Society membership.
Join The Heritage Society
During our lives, many of us take time to think about our families and our impact on others. We ponder the thought of "What kind of person am I now? What kind of person do I want to be?" and "In what kind of world?" How does my life impact me, my family and my community?
What in the world would you like to change or preserve? Partner with us for inspired outcomes. We can help your vision of a better and healthier world become a reality and have a positive impact on society when you make a gift to UTHealth.
There are a number of ways to leave a legacy gift. The following qualify you for membership in The Heritage Society:
- A bequest, a gift included in your will, is one of the most common ways to leave a lasting legacy for UTHealth.
- A life-income gift, such as a charitable gift annuity or a charitable remainder trust, is an excellent way to provide support for UTHealth while ensuring your family's future.
- A gift of retirement assets, including a 401(k) or IRA, may allow you to give more than you thought possible while reducing taxes that may otherwise consume these assets.
- A gift of a retained life estate, mineral rights, gas and oil interests, or real and tangible personal property that you no longer need may help UTHealth.
- A charitable lead trust allows you to irrevocably transfer assets to a trustee and provide that payments be made to us for a certain number of years (or until the end of your or another's life). Then the principal will be distributed to your children, grandchildren, or other heirs. The principal passes to your heirs at greatly reduced gift- and estate-tax rates and sometimes escapes them altogether.
No matter the size, your gift has a profound impact on the future of UTHealth. You can become a significant part of something that will continue thriving and helping others now and far into the future. So that you can leave a legacy that benefits you and our community, feel free to contact David Starnes, Director of Estate and Gift Planning, at 713-500-3382 or email William.D.Starnes@uth.tmc.edu
Your last will and testament is your final teaching. What do you want it to say?
Beyond self and family is there anything else in the world in which you want to have a positive impact? Your vision of a better world can become a reality, and it can begin with a charitable bequest. A charitable bequest to UTHealth can be as simple as a sentence or two in your will or living trust agreement.
Sample Bequest Language:
"I give, devise, and bequeath to the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System for the use and benefit of The University of Texas Health Sciences Center at Houston
(federal tax ID no. 30-0710145):
- (Cash Bequest) the sum of ________ dollars ($_______).
- (Percentage of Estate) ______percent (____%) of my estate.
- (Residuary Bequest) the remainder of my estate.
- (Stock/Personal Property) _______ shares of stock of _______________ Corporation.
This gift shall be for the further benefit of the ____________ [college, school, unit] and shall be used:
- In accordance with the terms of the most recent written directive I have signed with UTHealth, or, if none exists,
- For the following purpose: _________(scholarships, Professorship, Research etc..)
- As directed by the (e.g. President, Provost, Dean of the Schools of_______) at UTHealth.
If this gift is for the creation of an endowment, then the terms of the endowment should be set forth in a separate letter of instructions and preferably with a UTHealth endowed fund agreement. This bequest requires the University of Texas System to hold the funds permanently and use only the investment income they generate. (Min. $25,000)
If you wish to restrict your bequest to a specific program or function, please contact the Office of Estate and Gift Planning to determine wording that will ensure its use according to your intentions.
Your information is strictly confidential. Our Gift Planning Office serves as your special resource for charitable gift planning. You may contact us by e-mail at Plannedgiving@uth.tmc.edu
or call 713-500-3200 if you have questions or would like additional information about how your legacy gift can benefit both you and the university.